Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Week 7_Location Decisions

I live in Seminole County and decided to use my home county for the project. I like living here and was interested in the data I might find to replicate the Alachua assignment. Seminole County is quite small in comparison to a lot of Florida counties so it is relatively easy to be close to almost any criteria that might be set. I searched the layers available on the Seminole County government site and FGDL. Seminole County has quite a few choices for layers and I didn't have to go far to find what I needed. I decided I would like to live in a more rural setting (low density) and acreage, near the trail system, and in an area with the 40 - 49 age group.

The basemap includes a county boundary, cities, roads, natural lands, water bodies and parks. The second map shows the trails and a distance of approximately one mile increments. The towns and parks are there as a reference. The third map shows tracts of land in green corresponding to the choice of ages 40 - 49. The darker the color the more ideal the area will be. Low density areas of 50 acres or more were figured in and the higher the percentage the larger the tract of land. The trails are shown in black as a reference. There are several areas that look potentially ideal preferably in the northwest area to also be closer to the water.

Tools and model builder would not work, error message of "no license.

1 comment:

  1. I really like how your maps turned out. Nice choice for title. :)

    ReplyDelete